Saturday 13 October 2012

Living in student digs.

You may know by now, I'm a student. If you didn't, you know now.

I'm in the inbetween of living arrangements. I don't live at home, though I do treat my mums like a hotel the nights I don't have to go back to uni, nor do I live alone.

I live in private accomodation, which to me, is the greatest way to spend university life. It has the benefits of living alone:
  • Option to have quality alone time if you want.
  • You get to do whatever you want, with whomever you want - within reason.
  • It's a great way to meet new people in a new area (especially when you're in an unfamiliar place, like I was.)
  • Ensuite anyone?
  • You can shower at ANY time. This doesn't seem like a dealbreaker but the amount of times I've had a 2am shower without having to worry about waking anyone up.
  • Stay up until whenever.
It also has the home away from home feeling:
  • You're never really alone, you always have your flatmates.
  • Don't have to worry about paying bills every month - Most student halls/private accomodation ask for termly payments when your loan goes in, so once it's paid for, you're covered for heat, water, lighting and most importantly, internet.
  • Home cooking...kindov - Some student halls are catered so you don't have to worry about cooking anything.
  • Me and my flatmate still get our parents supplying food sometimes. There's something about halls that console parents that we haven't completely flown the coop. (Though, me and my friend are useless for food. We'll live off ready meals if you weren't being supplied actual meat.)
Most importantly though, living in halls whether for one year or for your entire course, makes the change from living with parents to living independantly a little bit easier.

Do you live in student halls? Have you but you now live alone? Let me know if you agree/disagree and explain why. Feedbacks nice.

No comments: