Sunday 23 September 2012

Pets as Therapy.

A couple of months ago, when I was traveling back to Liverpool from university, I met a woman with her dog. Now, being a serious animal lover, I can barely resist the temptation to go over and stroke any dog within a 5 mile radius.

Seriously, it's a bit of a problem.

This time, I'm extremely glad I did. The lady was more than happy for me to stroke her dog, which looked like a Jack Russell cross, for anyone who wants specifics. The dog was wearing a neon green jacket, with a slogan on it, and when I asked about it, she told me she was a volunteer at a charity called Pets as Therapy.

Now, I hadn't heard of this before, but the title gives a little away about what it does, and animals as a form of therapy is ingenious to me. I have a dog, and just seeing her cheers me up when I'm at my lowest.

This lady and her dog had been to see some kids at hospital, and apparently the kids love it. And why shouldn't they! Unless you were terrified of dogs, seeing one is sure to cheer you up? Am I right?

This charity intrigued me, and being a journalist, (sort of) I instantly wanted to write about it, and the idea has been pestering me until now, now I'm finally writing about it.

I thought it was just dogs that traveled to all these places where they are needed but no, cats go to. At the moment there are 4,500 active P.A.T dogs and 108 P.A.T cats going around the UK visiting the sick and the disabled.

The places they go are:
  • hospitals
  • hospices
  • nursing homes
  • residential homes
  • day care centres
  • care homes
  • special needs schools
  • mainstream schools
and wherever else they are invited.

Some volunteers do some therapeutic work with stroke victims and those who have dog phobias, and there is now a READ 2 DOGS programme, which helps encourage those children who are struggling or reluctant to read. 

 These incredible animals and their volunteer owners visit a total of 130,000 people a week, which works out at 6.75 million people a year, which is increasing due to the rising awareness.

Since it's inception in 1983, there have been a total of 23,000 therapy dogs. Once it's time for them to retire, another willing volunteer steps in to help and they undergo several tests to make sure they are up to the job. They go through temperament testing, and are vaccinated, and their owners are taught how to deal with everyone they meet.

Children and young adults are encouraged to join into this charity, with the Pets as Therapy Jr Club. They get involved in the work and learn about the charity as a whole, about the community and also learn how to be a responsible owner in an enjoyable way.

This charity is such a good idea because it connects those who are visited with home comforts, especially if they have an animal at home they miss, which sometimes can help speed up recovery.

And I'm not alone in thinking this is such a good charity. Well known faces like Matt Baker, Clare Balding and Joanna Lumley have shown their support for this and so can you.

You can donate online at: https://www.cafonline.org/system/Charity-profile.aspx?friendlyUrl=Pets-as-Therapy through Charities Aid Foundation.

You can also contact the charity directly using any of these methods: http://www.petsastherapy.org/ and you can take part in fundraising, events, donations or even become a volunteer yourself.

Or you can just mention it in passing to others, because they may know of somewhere that would benefit a lot from this charity.

Heard of this charity, like the idea or hate that i wrote about it?

Comment/Explain/Post guys.

No comments: