Saturday 8 September 2012

Online Dating Sites

If anyone reads this regularly, which I doubt but I live in hope, you will know I am 20 years old.

If you don't read this regularly and this is your first time to this page, welcome!! And I am 20 years old.

21 in November.

But you don't need these specifics.

Back to the point at hand.

At my age, in my own little world, I am happy to be single. The idea of dating makes me nervous and so I try to stay away from anything that could lead to the awkward situation of me having to say the words; "it's not you, its me, I'm a dating-phobe."

That's a medical term, you can look it up.

...

Don't. It's not really.

However, several of my friends, at a similar age to me, have joined this website called POF. (Is it breaching anything if I write the full name? I won't, just in case it is.)

It's an free internet dating site, and so far I have heard great things about it. So obviously, my curious mind persuaded my logical mind to join up.

There's a feature on this site called Meet Me. It gives you photos of people on the website in your age range and you can select YES MAYBE and NO.

It's the epitome of the internet. Flicking through potential boyfriends in seconds, survival of the fittest. Literally. The fittest ones according to you are the only ones that make it.

Now, I've been properly on this website, picture up and everything, for about half and hour and in such a short space of time I have figured a few things out:

1) A surprising amount of guys my age are on that website.
2) There a several different types on this website. As in categories. And I'm going to list them as I find them. Every day.


So, what did I find with this website?

I can't speak for all dating sites, but it's addictive. Worryingly so. I've checked my "viewed you" page about 10 times in 20 minutes since I got my picture up, telling myself it was to see the difference from when there wasn't one, but really we all know it's for my own vanity. Users of these sites may need to be careful to not base their own feelings of self worth on comparing how many inboxes they get to every viewing.

Like I said earlier, it's something everyone on the site does. Skips through to find their own preferences. I wouldn't take it personally. It's speed dating, without the awkward 5 minutes of conversation. You don't have to sit there debating on whether you like them or not, it's a split second decision, and we know that you'll be hitting the back button on your browser after looking at someones profile too.

The amount of times I have hit no on the Meet Me page is becoming ridiculous, so much so that it would be hypocritical of me to become offended at any lack of inboxes from "viewers". And besides, if I do like the look of someone, I'm sure as hell not going to write to them first, so that could be happening on the guys end too.

Basically, don't get too wrapped up in who's viewing you. If you want to do the whole online dating thing, go for it with guns blazing. Hit as many no's as you have to find some yes's. And if there's no responses from those yes's, move on. There's plenty more fish in the sea after all ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning, thankyou for a rather enjoyable piece, I will not by and large attach blog comments but really enjoyed your blog
and so thought I would personally say thanks -- Orla
My website - Online Dating Reviews